Joining a sorority can be a tough decision
-It can sometimes be a "I have no idea what to expect" scenario.
With that said, prepping for recruitment can be super stressful and nerve wracking if you have no idea how it's going to go.
So, UWO Sororities has gathered some tips and tricks to help make your sorority recruitment weekend as successful and fun as possible.
To Potential New Members (PNM'S) of UWO Sororities
1) Be yourself. Don't stray away from showing your true personality and missing the opportunity to find the sorority that fits best with who you are.
2) Go into recruitment with an open mind. Don't go into it being set on one sorority. You need to give every sorority a fair chance to show you what they have to offer.
3) First impressions are EVERYTHING. Smile, enjoy yourself and dress in a way that makes you feel confident and comfortable throughout the weekend.
4) Don’t listen to anything you’ve heard about the other sororities on your campus. People will talk and tell you the reputations each sorority holds but try to block those out and form your own opinions.
5) Don't be afraid to eat or drink during each party! Take advantage of the cute snacks and drinks made by each chapter. Trust me ... no one is going to judge for indulging in a cupcake.
6) Make sure you talk with everyone! Even if you make friends with someone who is interested in another sorority don't box them out ... I mean where do you think #panhellove comes from?
7) Keep in contact with your Rho Gammas. Your Rho Gammas (recruitment counsellors) are there to make your recruitment process easier. Make sure to ask them questions throughout the weekend ... they've been through it before and can give some killer advice.
8) Make friends within your given PNM group. The girls in your group are there to make you feel more relaxed and comfortable with the process. They're always there to talk to and you can relate easily to them because they're going through the same thing.
9) Trust the system. You may go in thinking you’ve found your home on day 1, but you might not get called back. Don’t let that shatter your hope. Just stay hopeful, stay strong and everything will make sense when you’re accepted to your forever home on Bid Day!
10) You can never be too overdressed. The recruitment process is a perfect way to show off your own personal style by adding accessories or bold pieces.
11) Don’t be nervous to ask real questions. This is the only way that you can really learn which house is the right fit for you. All the girls will be more than happy to answer anything you have on your mind.
12) Keep on top of your studies. Make sure you don't fall behind. The recruitment process is a full weekend of sorority parties ... which will 100% drain you by the end of the day. Just make sure you don't add any extra stress that could of been prevented.
13) Stay rested. Recruitment days are long and can be quite exhausting when you have to engage and talk to girls 24/7.
14) Follow your gut and trust your instincts. At the end of recruitment take your time when deciding which sorority you honestly see yourself being in. It should feel natural and right when you pick the sorority of your choice.
15) Take good notes and remember key conversations! Recruitment parties can go by very quickly, and at the end of the day conversations can blur into one another. By taking notes after each party, you will be able to remember all of your amazing experiences at each house.
16) Don't be disappointed if things don't work out. Recruitment is all about trying to find your best match, even if you don't see it at first.
17) Have fun. Just enjoy the experience and see where Western Sororities takes you. Remember that recruitment is meant to be fun, not stressful. Keep in mind that the girls you are talking to may soon be your best friends and family forever.